Octopus month has morphed seamlessly into Multispecies month here at RtB, bringing with it not only last week’s piece on chimpanzees, but also this sparkling conversation about all sorts of multi-species communities. Recorded live in front of an audience of writing students and introduced by Brandeis physicist Matthew Headrick, it features Patricia Alvarez Astacio, an anthropologist and filmmaker. She has made a film about her work in the Peruvian highlands, where people live with, respect, shear and sometimes eat alpacas. Gina Turrigiano, RtB guest-host of long standing, wears her biological hat in this conversation, bringing to bear insights about avian intelligence and the other sorts of animal community that silently surround our species (think microbiome…). John tries to steer the conversation towards SF as usual.
Listen and Read
68 Martin Puchner: Writing and Reading from Gilgamesh to Amazon – Recall This Book
- 68 Martin Puchner: Writing and Reading from Gilgamesh to Amazon
- 67 Everything and Less: Mark McGurl on Books in the Age of Amazon
- 66 On Multi-Species Community: A Critical Conversation with Patricia Alvarez Astacio (Gina T, John P)
- 65 Octopus World: Other Minds with Peter Godfrey-Smith (EF, JP)
- 64 Brahmin Left 4: Adaner and John wrap up with Elizabeth